Sunday, August 15, 2010

Taco Salad Dippers

So I have decided to keep going on this.. even if there are only a few of you out there reading it... I might change a few things, start posting pictures and only doing it myself. I am going to run it by those friends of mine that are currently co-authors.. if they are still interested in posting we will leave it as is.. if not then we might change a few things. :) THANKS to those that gave me some feedback!


This was good and my boys loved it, which is saying alot cause they are picky. We ate it like a taco salad... put the chips down and then layered it with this stuff, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, cheese or whatever sounds yummy.

Taco Salad Dippers
**Found on My kitchen Cafe**

2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
6 cups water
1 cup rice (white or brown)
1 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
2 (6 oz.) cans tomato paste
1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained


In a large pot, brown the ground beef or turkey with the onion and garlic and cook until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are translucent. Drain any accumulated grease. Add the water, rice, seasonings, tomato sauce, tomato paste and beans. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, watching to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot (if you are using brown rice, it may need to simmer for up to 60-70 minutes). The mixture will seem very watery at first, but after simmering, it will thicken to perfection as the rice absorbs water and all the ingredients meld together.

Serve warm with tortilla chips for dipping and other taco garnishes.

1 comment:

brenda said...

Steph, I am so glad you still post recipes, I still read them and occationally try them when I actually cook! I havn't figured out how to post things with out typing them rather than copy and paste them. Anyway keep it up if you want