Sunday, November 29, 2009

Spinach Chicken & Pasta Salad with Teriyaki Vinaigrette

Chad is doing the biggest loser competition at his work so I have been trying (I say trying cause I am prego and sometimes cinnamon rolls just have to be made) to find him some more healthy meals. We made this tonight and it was pretty good. It wasn't the usual which was nice, sometimes something different is just what you need.

I didn't stick the water chestnuts in and I halved it and it still made a TON! So maybe half the dressing but only use some of it and then stick the rest together. I didn't use alot of chicken and in hindsight I wish I had cause it was so yummy when I got it in a bite... so don't skimp on the chicken. Let me know if you try and it and like it... it's not my usual type of recipe but I am glad I tried something different :)

Spinach Chicken & Pasta Salad with Teriyaki Vinaigrette
*found on my kitchen cafe

Dressing:
1 cup canola oil
1/3 - 2/3 cup bottled teriyaki sauce (I used 1/3 cup but you may want to add more depending on your taste)
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup cider vinegar
6 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Salad:
16 oz. bow tie pasta, cooked al dente, drained and cooled
1 bag fresh spinach (9 - 10 oz)
6 oz. craisins
2 (11 oz.) cans mandarin oranges, drained
1 (8 oz.) can water chestnuts, drained and slivered
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
4 green onions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
6 oz. honey roasted peanuts
2 cups cooked chicken, tossed with 2-3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce

In a blender, combine all the dressing ingredients and blend until well combined and smooth. Mix about 1 cup of the dressing with the cooked pasta in a large bowl and marinate for at least one hour Combine the remaining salad ingredients in a large bowl. Just before serving, add pasta and toss. Add dressing to taste and toss. Serve immediately.

No comments: