Monday, February 22, 2010

Kalua Pork

Okay so I know there is at least one other kalua pork recipe on here annd maybe more, but I tried this one last night and it was SOOOOO yummy! I gave it to my sister a while ago and she made it like three times in one month so I thought hey, I ought to try it since I am giving to people HA HA!

I hate when I can't remember where I found it, I like to give the blogs credit so whoever you are, I am sorry but your recipe is extremely yummy!

The recipe calls for a 10-12 pound roast, I used a 4 pound roast and only 1 Tablespoon salt and half a bottle of liquid smoke.

Kalua Pork

10-12 pounds pork shoulder butt roast (don't substitute a leaner cut of pork or it will be dry)
1 bottle liquid smoke
2 tablespoons sea salt (or hula salt if you can find it)
1 1/2 cups water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Trim roast of large pockets of fat (but leave some fat on there to help the pork stay tender while cooking). Place pork in large roasting pan. Rub 2-3 tablespoons of sea salt into pork. Pour the bottle of liquid smoke over and around the pork. Pour the water around the pork. Cover roasting pan TIGHTLY with two layers of aluminum foil.

Bake for 5-7 hours (don't uncover while baking - let the steam and heat work it's magic!).

Shred with two forks and serve with rice. ( I poured some of the juice over the meat after I had shredded it)

1 comment:

Kira said...

making this again today! My house smells so yummy.